Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Death of a Cheerleader: The Day I Turned 30 in Alcoy

Flashback:

March 12, 2011. I never felt so scared in my life.  I would be a year older and it was not just any year, it was my 30th birthday.  Yes the number 3.  I don't know but I wasn't excited.  I was stressed, I know it was just a number but I was so worried. Perhaps, I got scared getting old, seemed like I was running out of time and I have not achieved a lot, worse I haven't figured out what I really wanted.  I felt the pressure, knowing my brothers and sisters had their plans laid out, my friends living MY dream and they were good at it.  "But then again, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  While you are wishing to be someone else, someone out there is wishing to be you.  So just love life and count your blessings"  

So I faced that day bravely as I had less than 24 hours to celebrate and bade 29 goodbye.  So I invited some friends who are young at heart and has aged gracefully (this is a compliment) because the last thing I wanted to do that day was to feel old as I was.

Bantayan Island was my first choice.  There's something about that place that I feel so homey. But Japan got hit by a tsunami and the waves were just crazy that time, it wasn't safe to ride a ferry and cross the island. So we opted south. Anyways, slow driving road trip is the coolest.


Each municipality has something to offer.  We bought lechon in Carcar City for lunch and nothing beats their chicharon.  Argao's torta is simply the best perhaps because of the local wine they put on it.  We drove 94.6- km to municipality of Alcoy.


Yes, it was yet another beach outing.  So we arrived at our destination: Tingko Beach in Alcoy.


We checked in at Kai Nani Pointe Resort. Fresh air, picturesque view, blue ocean, white sand; these were the things I needed that day.


We stayed at one of their huts. It costs Php 1500/2000 per night (off peak/peak rates).


The hut was expensive. no mattresses. we'll you don't need an AC or fan.  It was just really a room for your things.  They had a care taker that played as a security guard at night.  It was still a public beach. Our neighbor hut was robbed. It didn't have door and lock.


But nevertheless, the water was amazing! I like the way how they used the rocks and mount those huts.


Didn't I say the water was blue?


and white powdery sand that tickled my feet of its softness.


March 13, 2011

30 was the magic number and I had to face it gracefully.  "The death of a cheerleader."  Back in high school when our dreams were big, we used to think, what we would become when we reach that age. While halfway through that, it was a scary number.  Perhaps that's why I got so worried and scared, I was running out of time in achieving my goals. How could we reach the moon and back, career wise.  Love life wise 30 is a good year to settle, I thought.


Thank you to some good friends who celebrated with me and made me realize its really just a number and life continues.  What happened in Japan was just an earthquake, it wasn't the end of the world yet. 30 is like just 20 except that your decisions are wiser and you have more money! 


No comments:

Post a Comment